Bariatric surgery, also known as weight-loss surgery, is a proven long-term solution for those suffering from obesity and its related diseases.
Contrary to what the name suggests, weight-loss surgery’s primary purpose is not to help the patient lose weight — though that is an excellent secondary effect. Rather, the goal of bariatric surgery is to improve or eliminate the diseases associated with obesity, which can include type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and sleep apnea.
With more than 30% of the US population suffering from obesity, bariatric surgery is more relevant today than ever. This is why Dr. Viet Phuong is proud to lead the Bariatric Center in Greenville, TX to provide this service to our residents.
How Does It Work?
Bariatric procedures work in one or both of two ways: restriction and malabsorption.
- Restriction shrinks the amount of usable stomach. This is accomplished by a procedure called a gastric sleeve. The new, smaller stomach reduces the amount of food that can be eaten at a sitting.
- Malabsorption is made possible by bypassing part of the intestines, which results in fewer calories being absorbed. This is called a gastric bypass.
The gastric bypass is the most popular weight-loss surgery performed in the nation today. It is considered the pinnacle of bariatric surgery because patients may lose up to 85% of their excess weight. While the gastric bypass does offer the most signicant weight-loss potential, it requires a greater degree of diet modification and supplementation than the gastric sleeve.
The gastric sleeve, also known as a sleeve gastrectomy, has quickly risen in popularity with both surgeons and patients as a result of its effectiveness and simplicity.
The gastric sleeve offers greater weight loss potential than the gastric band and does not require an implanted medical device like a band does. While the sleeve has fewer considerations than the gastric bypass, it doesn’t offer as great a weight-loss potential.
Why Choose Hunt Regional Medical Partners Surgical Associates for Your Bariatric Surgery?
- We have highly trained and experienced minimally invasive specialists.
- Our surgical facilities are state of the art.
- Our staff assists each patient before and long after surgery.
- We have a dedicated billing department to help you determine the best method of payment for your particular financial circumstance.
- We have partnered with Prosper Healthcare Lending to help you spread the costs out over time. Please click the image below to learn more:
Prosper Healthcare Lending is the premier financing company in the healthcare industry. With over $3 Billion borrowed and over 250,000 people empowered, this is a name and a program you can trust.
Here are some of the benefits you’ll receive with a loan from Prosper Healthcare Lending:
Immediate decisions without affecting your credit!
- Longer terms for lower monthly payments
- No collateral required
- No prepayment penalties
- Fast & easy loan inquiry process
- 100% Confidential
Is Bariatric Surgery For You?
Together with you, we take everything into consideration, including your age, body mass index, general health, mental preparedness as well as other factors.
Safety and effectiveness are the cornerstones of our practice, and your well-being will dictate whether weight-surgery is right for you.
Contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss the weight loss options available to you.
The Bariatric Center at Greenville
4215 Joe Ramsey Blvd., Suite 220
Greenville, TX 75402